Saturday, June 12, 2010

Life in the Pink Tower: Another Year, Another Rotation

Our little Pearl turned 7 years old this week.  Even though I look, well..like I just gave birth, I shared the first picture because I love pictures of Mamas meeting their Babes.  Then you see her at her Hawaiian themed bday party.  We love tiki parties and I had to resist going overboard.  We did do a smokin' volcano cake and sushi candy.
At the girls' Montessori school they had a fabulous way of celebrating each year.  The children sat in a circle around a candle lit to represent the sun.  Then the birthday child held a globe and walked around the circle while this song was sung:

the earth goes round the sun
the earth goes round the sun
it takes 12 months for the earth to go around the sun
and then Pearl was 1

the earth goes round the sun....(continue next 2 lines)
and then Pearl was 2...
repeat
and now Pearl is 7!!!!

At the end Pearl would have circled the "sun" 7 times.  Isn't this a great lesson?  I can honestly say I hadn't thought of a year in this way before.  The girls I am sure forever will.





5 comments:

  1. Love it. Happy birthday Pearl and to you too mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to celebrate.... we light a 'birth' candle we have for each child on their birthday.... it was burning whilst I was in labour and gave birth, but I love the idea of cirling it with a globe.
    Lovely, xx Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son turned 1 on Sunday. It goes far too quickly! I love the rhyme and will try and remeber it for my daughter's 6th b'day next year.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is so cool!
    And oh my goodness the sushi candy is amazing!! I really do love it! How did you make it? I've never seen it before!
    Lottie x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me so happy! Leave one.