Monday, October 25, 2010

Just Put It On!

I am going to answer a question I have seen asked.  "How can I start dressing vintage?"

Wear it.  99% of all clothing is made to be worn.  Vintage is no different.  Although it is true you may need to be a little more careful with certain pieces.
Do not stress about having period perfect shoes to go with your fabulous early 40's frock.  Waiting until you have the timeline correct can mean certain items simply sit on a hanger and never get worn.  Now that's a shame!   There are those who attempt as much purity to their vintage life as possible, but the truth is even the perfectionist fall short, because the fact is we live in 2010.  So try not to be so hard on yourself.

There is so much information available on the interweb regarding vintage clothing and it can be interesting to find out some of the history.  But it also can be overwhelming and intimidating.  Unless you are a dealer I suggest staying away from all that business.  As you wear it you will gain knowledge and most garments will become easier to date. (ish)  Kind of like immersing yourself in a foreign language.

So put some vintage in your closet, wear it and have fun!

5 comments:

  1. Well said, I agree, everyone is trying to get it right and as far as I'm concerned there is no getting it right! I remember when I first came to London and started going to the clubs that everyone looked so perfect and I felt like I stood out like a sore thumb as I didn't look the same. I really thought everyone had the 50s look spot on but looking back the pictures look 80's! I mean they look 80's 50's so I do wonder if how people dress now we can say in 20 years oh yes that was 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I find a mix of contemporary and vintage works best for me. Wear what you feel most comfortable in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "80's 50's" yeah! I totally get that! It's kind of a complaint I have about period film makers---you can often tell when the period film was made (Think "Crybaby.")
    An issue I've always had with real vintage clothing is finding things that fit a larger size. People were apparently smaller in the 40s! So I do a mix too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    You are so right on this..for years I have wanted to wear vintage dresses...it was not until this year when I discovered this vintage wearing, 50's lovin community..that I had the courage. You are right...you start wearing them and incorporate into your wardrobe...I have more modern outfits, boho outfits, vintage outfits, etc...to fit my mood for the day.

    Kisses,
    JennyMay

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me so happy! Leave one.