Friday, August 26, 2011

Okie Eye Candy


"Unemployed lumber worker goes with wife to the bean harvest. Note social security number tattooed on arm." photographer Dorothea Lange, August 1939/Oregon.
535-07-5248 belonged to Thomas Cave who would have been 27 years old at the time of photo.  He died in Portland, Oregon the year 1980.
I came across this picture in a book from the library today.  Dorothea Lange is a bit of an obsession with me at the moment. (hint of posts to come)  I have always appreciated her photographs, which more than slightly resemble the ones in my own family album.  This picture stands out to me as different though.  Maybe it is the wonderful good looks (man and woman) which gives it a bit of a Hollywood feel.   
I have a feeling if I looked up handsome rogue in the dictionary this guys photo would be there.  He has trouble written all over him.  I am in love.


8 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree! What a picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is one of my favorite lange photos. Do you read shorpy.com? He's there too http://www.shorpy.com/node/921?size=_original

    ReplyDelete
  3. He has a real Clark Gable look to him. Very Gable in "It Happened One Night," in fact. Such a charming photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, he's what they called a Rounder. You can just tell, and it's echoed in the posture and expression of his long suffering wife. Amazing photo.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me so happy! Leave one.