My great-grandparents Frank and Ethel Attaway (I am wild about her socks and shoes)
Me circa 1994, in my favorite socks and shoes, where I grew up in Woodlake California
You know that favorite dress you have practically worn out? The one with the stain, tear or missing button? Do not despair you can still wear it with an Okie flair. Here are 10 ways to incorporate true depression era fashion into your vintage attire.
- clothing doesn't fit just right-usually a little too big
- socks-not mates if you dare
- one button different from the rest
- dresses made of feedsacks
- mend and patch-get creative
- worn oxfords shoes
- clothing clean but worn
- layers-sometimes they had to wear all they had
- aprons- what dress you do have needs protecting
How awesome is this?! Here is an informative feedsack post by Vintage Viviant.
I haven't seen it (because I heard it was scary) but Carnivale appears to have wonderful costumes.
Also I have heard rumors of a Ghetto Gatsby picnic held in Southern California. Does anyone have any information about this event? I am intrigued.