Wednesday, February 22, 2012

No Toys Needed


We spend A LOT of time in the kitchen.  It is the heart of our home and school.  I am always looking for things to help Dotty (2) be involved in the goings on.
In these pictures you see her transferring liquid with a handled measuring cup and a medium sized dropper.


Below she is helping to fill the canister with lentils we buy in bulk.  This was part of putting away the groceries, an activity even the youngest can help with.



Above and below Dotty is having a snack that involves sharpening her fine motor skills/hand eye coordination, seeding a pomegranate and shelling pistachios.  Other possibilities are peeling oranges and eggs, slicing bananas and other soft foods.  It can change the way you see everyday items.  Montessori classrooms are set up using many household items.  Look at a catalogue like Montessori Services and ask yourself how you can duplicate the work at home.  Some catalogues also give a description of how the materials are benefiting your child that can encourage you to see an activity like sweeping the floor as so much more.


4 comments:

  1. I don't have kids myself, but I love to see the creative ways you think about teaching your kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last photo. She is concentrating so hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Montessori link was great. Wish I had known about it when my son was younger, although since he's a bit behind on fine motor skills, I think there's some good ideas there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a Waldorf/Montessori AND Vintage loving person I must say I've stalked for about a year now. I finally can declare: LOVE Reading your posts! I adore how your are teaching your little ladies about God's world. :) More power to you :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me so happy! Leave one.