Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Okie Girl Eats: Pie Crusts

Ruth wanted to make a chocolate meringue pie for Mav for Father's Day.  We were all out of crust and needed to make another batch-we usually make about 20 at a time and freeze them.  Ruth is a great pie baker.  She began making crusts at about age 8.  Her best friend would come over and they would bake once a week for "school".  I dream of one day having a little pie shop in an old airstream called Sweetie Pies.  Of course we have a family pie crust recipe that we always use.  Here is the recipe:

  • 3lbs crisco
  • 15 cups flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 TBSP vinegar
  • 3 tsp salt
combine-shortening, flour and salt
combine eggs, vinegar with water to make three cups
mix all together-well require your hands

Like I said it will make a lot of pies!
Solanah came over and joined us and to add a few crusts to her freezer.  I found this picture of me and her when she was little rolling out pie crusts.  I am in my PJ's so I think it was probably early Thanksgiving morning.

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha! That old picture is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that pie looks so good! I love that old picture of you with blonde hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two gorgeous girls, nothing has changed! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww still making pies together. that's sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I love the picture...both of u look so sweet. Awwww....memories.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me so happy! Leave one.