Thursday, July 29, 2010

Taking Back Saddle Shoes

I love saddle shoes.  A perfect oxford in black and white.  Unfortunately I have shied away from them through out my vintage wearing life.  Why?  Well because of the bubble gum baggage they bring with them.  The poodle skirt, sock hop, Happy Days costume they happen to play a big part in.  The truth is though the saddle shoe has been worn since the early 1900's.  So if you are like me and hesitate to wear them even though they are one of the few vintage shoes constantly remade and often sold at very affordable prices, remember real people did wear them-even with out poodle skirts. : )  Here are a couple family pictures showing the side of the saddle shoe I love.
I took the above one of my mom off my niece's recent post, My Grandma in the 1940's and 1950's

5 comments:

  1. I have refrained from them for the VERY same reason. I should give them a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have had an aversion to the black and white ones since being forced to wear them in catholic school 1965 to 1974. shudder. but really, i love them, so i bought a pair of red/white ones at muffys.com they are the most comfy flat shoe I own (once they were broken in). I will buy b/w ones in the winter I think now that I am over my own stigma ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't bought them because of that reason too, but I've seen so many cute pictures I'm an inch away of buying the cheap ones from payless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had some years ago, but wore them with trousers, I think they look cute with trousers, then I haven't had any in years until Rocket Originals released theirs, they are so fab, spot on design wise and comfortable too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my saddle shoes, but they fell apart. I'm gonna get a new pair. Ironically, I loved them as a girl, but my mom, who grew up wearing them and hating them, always steered me into brown oxfords for school. I was in my 20's when I got my first pair.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me so happy! Leave one.